Improving Microsoft Teams Governance with a provisioning solution
As announced at Ignite, Microsoft Teams is the fastest growing business app in Microsoft history. Over 300,000 organisations now use Microsoft Teams as part of their Office 365 deployment. There are however a number of challenges with the Microsoft Teams Governance. As a result, there is a clear requirement for Microsoft Teams provisioning. This is because organisations struggle with controlling who can create Teams. Furthermore, how Microsoft Teams links to SharePoint Sites.
At ProvisionPoint we get asked regularly about the creation and management of Microsoft Teams. Therefore, ProvisionPoint is happy share our vision for improved Microsoft Teams Governance with our first beta for Microsoft Teams provisioning.
Provisioning Microsoft Teams
An administrator will be able to define multiple types of Teams, each with their own configuration and settings. Furthermore, users may be restricted to only requesting one type Team.
The second way a Team can be created in ProvisionPoint will be through converting an existing Office 365 Group to a Microsoft Team. This is achieved by an administrator enabling an Action in ProvisionPoint. This action will allow an Owner of an Office 365 Group to convert it to a Microsoft Team.
Configuring Microsoft Teams Provisioning
In ProvisionPoint an Administrator will be able to configure a new Service Type of Microsoft Team.
Within Microsoft Teams it is possible to change a number of settings once a Team has been created. Therefore, in ProvisionPoint those settings are available to an administrator to define for any Teams created from a Service Definition.
- Adding an Approval Process before the Team is created
- Notifications to Administrators or Business Owners when a Team is created
- Full configuration of the Modern SharePoint Team Site created with the Team
- Setting the Email Address of the Office 365 Group created with the Team
- Capturing organisation specific meta data when a new Team is created.
- Populating a Directory in SharePoint, including any meta data, for each Team which is created
- Ongoing Actions including Deletion of a Team